Create, Update and Manage Your Own Website Using WordPress
Use WordPress to build your own website in this beginner-level course. Learn all about themes, widgets, plugins, & more!
Learn how to use WordPress to build your own flexible and dynamic website in this comprehensive introductory course. No prior experience necessary!
WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. It's the largest self-hosted blogging tool in the world, used on millions of sites and seen by tens of millions of people every day.
Whether you plan to build your own WordPress website or hire a WordPress developer to help you, understanding the basics of how WordPress works will help you build and maintain a better website.
My goal in this course is to help you develop an intuitive understanding of how to use WordPress to build your own website.
In this course, we'll explore the many configuration options, functions and features available in the self-hosted version of WordPress. As we work together, I'll explain WHY and HOW things work in WordPress, so you can learn more quickly and with more confidence.
As we discover WordPress together, we'll cover:
- How to handle basic WordPress site administration
- Adding and formatting content the RIGHT way
- Using images, video and audio smartly
- How WordPress can help you better organize your website's content
- When, why and how to apply important updates in WordPress
- How to select and install WordPress themes and plugins
- And much more!
By the end of this course, you'll be able to configure, edit and update a WordPress site with confidence, following best practices every step of the way.
Hi! My name is Kathleen Farley, and I’ve been teaching web technology and data management to beginners since 2009 under the name Robobunnyattack!
I believe that with the right approach, anyone can learn anything.
My goal is to help you learn exactly what YOU need to know. Understanding which pieces of the puzzle you’re missing is usually the hardest part. I’ll help you understand the bigger picture, so you can learn more quickly and with more confidence.
Kathleen Farley, Instructor
PreviewWhat's the difference between Posts and Pages in WordPress? (8:36)
StartHow do I create a new Post on my WordPress site? (5:36)
StartHow do I get rid of unnecessary formatting when pasting? (6:29)
StartHow do I add bold, italics, and other formatting? (5:33)
PreviewHow do I add bullets, blockquotes, and subheadings? (6:03)
StartQUIZ (part 1): Check your progress!
StartWhat's the difference between internal and external links? (4:03)
StartHow do I add an external link on a Post or Page? (4:40)
StartHow do I use the "More Tag" in a Post on my WordPress site? (3:48)
StartHow do I schedule a Post for future publication in WordPress? (4:12)
StartHow do I create user-friendly permalinks for my WordPress site? (7:09)
StartQUIZ (part 2): Check your progress!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Beginners with no previous coding or programming experience
- Web designers seeking to strengthen their WordPress skills
- Learners of all ages who want to REALLY understand how to use WordPress — not just memorize a series of steps!
- A computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) with Internet access
- Any modern web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, or Safari)
- The latest stable release of WordPress, hosted on a webserver or on your own local machine (NOT wordpress.com)
- A desire to learn!