How to Safely Copy and Move Your WordPress Website
Duplicate, clone, backup, move and transfer your entire WordPress site from one location to another — like a pro!
Learn how to duplicate and transfer your entire WordPress site from one location to another — like a pro!
Want to know the best, safest, and easiest way to copy and move your own WordPress site?
In this course, we'll talk about how WordPress migration works, how to prepare your existing site and your site's destination, and what tools you need to clone and move your entire WordPress site.
Whether you plan to migrate your own WordPress website from one web host to another, from your local computer to a web server, or from a web server to your own local computer — understanding how WordPress migration works will help you feel more confident and secure about the process!
The lessons in this course are perfect for "advanced beginners" who:
- Are comfortable using WordPress;
- Know (or are willing to learn) how to use FTP software to move files to and from a web server;
- Know (or are willing to learn) how to perform some basic configuration tasks via their web hosting provider's web hosting control panel (e.g. cPanel).
If this describes you, then you're ready to learn how to migrate your own WordPress website!
In this course, we'll copy and move a pre-existing WordPress website from one web server to another. As we work together, I'll explain what each step means and WHY we do it, so you can learn more quickly and with more confidence. We'll cover:
- Why moving a WordPress website is so complicated (and how to approach this);
- How to prepare your existing site for a successful migration;
- Free tools you can use to automate and simplify the process;
- Essential steps for setting up your destination location;
- Testing, cleanup, and more!
By the end of this course, you'll be able to copy and move an entire WordPress website from one location to another, following best practices every step of the way!
Hi! My name is Kathleen Farley, and I’ve been teaching web technology and data management to beginners since 2009 under the name Robobunnyattack!
I believe that with the right approach, anyone can learn anything.
My goal is to help you learn exactly what YOU need to know. Understanding which pieces of the puzzle you’re missing is usually the hardest part. I’ll help you understand the bigger picture, so you can learn more quickly and with more confidence.
Kathleen Farley, Instructor
Frequently Asked Questions
- WordPress site owners and administrators who want to be able to copy and move their site with confidence
- Web designers seeking to strengthen their WordPress administration skills
- A website built using the latest stable release of WordPress, hosted on a webserver or on your own local machine (NOT wordpress.com)
- Any FTP client (e.g. Cyberduck, FileZilla)
- Some basic computer skills (cutting and pasting text, saving files into folders)
- Familiarity with the WordPress interface
- A desire to learn!