Modify Your WordPress Theme the RIGHT Way Using Child Themes
Learn how (and WHY!) to create and implement a simple child theme to change the look and style of your WordPress website.
Learn how to create your own WordPress child theme to change the look and style of your website in this series of tutorials aimed at beginner-level web designers and web developers.
Using a WordPress child theme is the best, safest, and easiest way to modify an existing WordPress theme, whether you want to make a few tiny changes or extensive changes.
In this course, we'll talk about when, where and why to use a child theme, what tools you need to create your own child theme, and how to properly set up and edit your child theme.
My goal in this course is to help you develop an intuitive understanding of WordPress child themes, and how to make them work for YOU.
The lessons in this courses are perfect for "advanced beginners" who:
- Are comfortable using WordPress;
- Know (or are willing to learn) some basic HTML and CSS; and
- Know (or are willing to learn) how to use FTP software to move files to and from web server.
If this describes you, then you're ready to learn how to create WordPress child themes!
In this course, we'll create a simple WordPress child theme. As we work together, I'll explain what each step means and WHY we do it, so you can learn more quickly and with more confidence. We'll cover:
- The many advantages to using child themes in WordPress, vs simply editing pre-existing themes
- What you need to get started creating child themes
- How to create, activate, and test your very own child theme
- Where to go to learn more about building and customizing WordPress themes
By the end of this course, you'll be able to create your very own WordPress child theme.
Hi! My name is Kathleen Farley, and I’ve been teaching web technology and data management to beginners since 2009 under the name Robobunnyattack!
I believe that with the right approach, anyone can learn anything.
My goal is to help you learn exactly what YOU need to know. Understanding which pieces of the puzzle you’re missing is usually the hardest part. I’ll help you understand the bigger picture, so you can learn more quickly and with more confidence.
Kathleen Farley, Instructor
Frequently Asked Questions
- "Advanced beginners" who are already familiar with WordPress and have some basic HTML/CSS skills
- Web designers seeking to strengthen their WordPress skills
- Learners of all ages who want to REALLY understand how child themes work in WordPress — not just memorize a series of steps!
- The latest stable release of WordPress, hosted on a webserver or on your own local machine (NOT wordpress.com)
- Any FTP client (e.g. Cyberduck, FileZilla)
- Any plain text editor (e.g. TextWrangler, Notepad++)
- A desire to learn!